Sunday, November 18, 2007

To Thaw or Not to Thaw....


We had an early Thanksgiving with our closest friends since we would all be out of town on Thanksgiving Day. I volunteered to make the turkey--my first!! So, I went and picked out the perfect size bird for our small group of six, brought it home and began to let it thaw. This morning I went to the kitchen ready to prepare our feast--and that's when I saw it. Printed on the turkey packaging "KEEP FROZEN. DO NOT THAW." I was so confused! Every article I read about how to prepare a turkey always started with how to thaw the turkey! I studied the packaging some more to realize I had purchased a "pre-stuffed" turkey. I can only assume this is why I was not supposed to thaw the thing. So, unsure of what to do, I hustled back to the commissary and purchased another bird. This one was promptly seasoned and placed into the oven without thawing. I was very nervous, but it actually turned out to be a delicious bird! We also had mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole and a couple desserts all brought by our friends. It was a delicious Thanksgiving meal! So, we are most thankful for making such good friends that can be our 'family' while away from our real families on the holidays!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Those first few Thanksgivings of your married life always have stories - this will be a good one to remember. Love, ~ Mom